Reference number: A.1.1718122
Total project value: $209,327
CRCNA funding: $100,000
Project length: 10 months
Finish date: 30 November 2019
- Timber Queensland
- NT Dept. Primary Industry and Resources
- University of the Sunshine Coast
- Qld Dept. of Agriculture and Fisheries
This industry situational analysis study will identify and describe key challenges and opportunities faced by the northern Australian forestry and forest products industry. It will explore potential policy, investment and other solutions to challenges and assess sector- wide research priorities as well as identify the most strategic research projects for further investment.
As part of the project, a Steering Committee will be formed comprising of northern Australia forestry industry stakeholders from each State and Territory (where possible) as well as at least one representative of indigenous and non-indigenous forest growers, the livestock industry, wood product processing industries, and relevant government agencies.
- This project will deliver recommendations on and inform indigenous and non-indigenous landholders, forestry industry stakeholders, potential forestry industry investors, government agencies responsible for natural resource management, research and development, and policy-makers about the opportunities and constraints to further develop sustainable forestry enterprises in northern Australia.
- It is expected the project Steering Committee will be retained as an Industry Development Alliance to continue advocating for and providing oversight regarding the ongoing growth and development of the industry across northern Australia.